- Client numbers double in less than 5 years
- Rise of the mobile investor
- The typical HL investor
- Excellent client service
Hargreaves Lansdown is celebrating reaching the 1 million client milestone.
Chris Hill, Chief Executive, Hargreaves Lansdown;
"I am proud to announce that we now look after the investments of more than a million people. That is another first for HL.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank clients for choosing us to help manage their money, and for all of their support over the years.
A million clients doesn’t happen by accident: we have spent 36 years putting our clients at the heart of what we do and delivering exceptional service. Our digital and mobile strategies have also been key to our success. The way people want to manage their money is moving rapidly from the desktop to mobile devices and we have seen significant change over the last five years.
We all face tough financial decisions in our lives, and things seem ever more uncertain and complex. We are here to help people save and invest with confidence."
Client numbers double in less than 5 years
Rise of the mobile investor
- Nearly 60% of visits to the HL website are now via mobile and tablet, compared to less than 20% just five years ago.
- 72% of those aged 18 – 19 accessed the HL website via mobile in October 2017 compared to 56% in February 2017.
- Fund trades by mobile have almost quadrupled, and share trades more than doubled in the last two years.
At the beginning of the year we launched a new mobile app with updated features like a fingerprint log in, stop losses and limit orders on trades, and overseas share dealing.
Since then we have seen an increasing proportion of both fund and share trades being placed via the app. (Please note the following figures show the proportions of all deals placed, and do not have any bearing on the absolute number of deals placed in these periods).
Online still remains investors’ favourite way of placing fund trades, with 82.7% of deals placed this way in Q3. The remaining proportion of deals were placed by telephone and post (4% and 4.6% respectively).
Meanwhile there has also been an increase in the proportion of share trades being placed via app, from 10.1% in Q1 to 15.9% in Q3 2017. In the latest quarter 82.2% of share deals were placed online, with the remaining portion being placed either by telephone or by post (1.4% and 0.5% respectively).
We have now had over 550,000 downloads of our mobile app.
3 in every 5 new accounts opened on mobile are by people aged 19 – 35. This compares to just 1 in 5 accounts on traditional desktops. And nearly half (48%) of all mobile trades are completed by people aged 44 or under. This compares to just 25% of all desktop trades completed by the same age bracket
Excellent client service
- 96% of clients rate our service as good, very good or excellent
- Our asset and client retention figures are around 94%
- Net promoter score of 56 (measuring clients propensity to recommend our services), a level which is almost unheard of in financial services.