Junior Investment Account
Hold investments in trust for a child's future
Junior Investment Account
This service is under review and not currently available. We’ll keep you updated when we have more to share.
Important information - Please remember, the value of tax savings will depend on your and your child's circumstances and tax rules can change over time. Investments can go down in value as well as up, so your child might get back less than you invest.
Give your little ones a head start
There are many advantages to putting money away for a child while they’re still young. For one it gives money time to grow. It can also help to reduce the amount of inheritance tax (IHT) that might be paid in future.
Stock market investments are often seen as the best way to grow money over the long term, however there is the inherent risk that your child could get back less than is invested. A Junior Investment Account is simply a Fund and Share Account set up as a ‘bare trust’, where assets are held by a ‘trustee’ (e.g. parent or grandparent) for the future benefit of a ‘beneficiary’ (e.g. a child or grandchild).
Why open a Junior Investment Account
- Simple to set up and start investing for a child’s future
- All children are eligible and there are no investment limits
- Withdrawals can be made at any time, although they must be used for the benefit of the child (e.g. to pay school fees)
- Assets (e.g. money or investments) paid into the trust will either fall within an IHT exemption or be a Potentially Exempt Transfer, so could form part of your IHT planning
Holding assets in trust for a child can have a number of tax benefits, both in the short and long term. In the short term it can help to reduce the amount of tax paid on investment returns, and in the long term it can reduce the value of an estate so less inheritance tax needs to be paid. See ‘What is a bare trust’ below for more information. Tax rules can change and benefits depend on individual circumstances.
- Security - we're a FTSE 100 company, trusted by over one million clients
- UK-based helpdesk - speak to our client support experts if you have any questions
- Expertise - investment ideas from our expert analysts
- Award-winning - we've won over 200 awards, including Best Online Stockbroker 2022/2023 from the Personal Finance Awards.
Very good, efficient and easy to use site.
Mrs BASFORD, Cheshire
SHARE DEALING CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
Finder Awards 2023
BEST INVESTMENT APP
Boring Money Awards 2023
BEST ONLINE STOCKBROKER
The Personal Finance Awards 2022/2023