A new Cash ISA
Save free from UK income tax with a different type of Cash ISA.
You’ll hold your Cash ISA with HL, but choose Cash ISA savings products from individual banks and building societies. So you’ll manage everything online, alongside any HL investments you may have.
You can currently choose an easy access or a limited access savings product from Coventry Building Society.
You can add money to one or both products, as long as you don’t exceed your ISA allowance each tax year (£20,000 for 2021/22 tax year).
What is a Cash ISA?
It’s a tax-efficient way to save - unlike other savings accounts, all interest earnt within a Cash ISA is free from UK income tax.
Tax rules for ISAs can change and their benefits depend on your circumstances.
Get a £10-20 Amazon.co.uk Gift Card*
Open a Cash ISA by 11 August, then add at least £10,000 by debit card and choose your savings product(s) within 60 days of opening your account to qualify for an Amazon.co.uk Gift Card as a thank you. Full terms are below. *Restrictions apply, see amazon.co.uk/gc-legal
|You pay in||Your gift card|
|£10,000 - £14,999||£10|
|£15,000 - £19,999||£15|
More on the horizon
We plan to bring you more choice and functionality in the future. Including:
- More banks and building societies
- More products, such as fixed terms
- Transfer from ISAs held elsewhere
- Transfer from the HL Stocks and Shares ISA
You can register for our Cash ISA alerts to hear when they’re available.
Available Cash ISA products
When you apply, you’ll set up a Cash ISA and then add money to your first savings product to open your Cash ISA. Products available can be added or withdrawn at any time. Minimum deposit requirements apply to individual products.
I'm looking for
AER (Annual Equivalent Rate) shows what the interest rate would be if it was paid and compounded once each year. It helps you compare the rates on different savings products.
Tax-free: Interest in the Cash ISA is paid free of UK income tax. Tax rules can change.
Fixed term products pay a fixed rate and easy access products pay a variable rate.
How much can I save into a Cash ISA?
Each tax year (6 April to 5 April) there’s a limited amount of money you can put in ISAs. This tax year the ISA allowance is £20,000. You can split your allowance between different types of ISAs as long as you don’t exceed the total allowance across them all each tax year. However you can’t subscribe to more than one of each type of ISA each tax year. The maximum you can put into a Lifetime ISA (LISA) is £4,000 each tax year.
Cash ISA charges
We don’t charge you directly to have a Cash ISA, instead we charge our banking partners. This means the same or similar products offered directly by the banks and building societies may have different interest rates to those available through the HL Cash ISA.
Who is my money with and is it protected?
When you add money to a savings product, it’s held by that bank or building society. Eligible deposits are protected up to £85,000 per banking licence. Any deposits over £85,000 with the same bank are not likely to be covered. All our partner banks are authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority, regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, and are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).
Money in the Cash ISA which isn’t in a savings product is held in the transaction account. As we are not a bank, it’s either protected through the safeguarding if we (Hargreaves Lansdown Savings Ltd) were to fail, or the FSCS, if Barclays were to fail.
How can a Cash ISA help to save tax?
If you have normal savings accounts, you may have to pay tax on the interest you earn. This will depend on the Personal Savings Allowance, which allows you to earn up to £1,000 interest per year without paying tax. Your individual allowance will depend on which income tax band you’re in. Scottish taxpayers should also use the UK tax bands for working out their Personal Savings Allowance.
Basic rate tax payers can earn £1,000 without paying tax. For higher rate tax payers it's £500, and it's £0 if you’re an additional rate tax payer. Low earners may be able to earn more interest without paying income tax on it.
All interest you earn within a Cash ISA is free from UK income tax.
How do I add and withdraw money?
You can add money from a debit card, or from your Active Savings Account. If you’d like to add money from your Active Savings Account, make sure it’s in your cash hub first.
You can add money from a debit card, or from an Active Savings Account. If you’d like to add money from an Active Savings Account, make sure it’s in the cash hub first.
Withdrawing is easy and can be done in a few clicks online. You can choose to withdraw to the cash hub of your Active Savings Account or directly to your nominated bank account.
Withdrawing is easy and can be done in a few clicks online. You can choose to withdraw to the cash hub of an Active Savings Account or directly to your nominated bank account.
When you withdraw money from your Cash ISA it’ll go via a transaction account which is held by Barclays. Please remember that when withdrawing money from your Cash ISA it’ll lose its ISA status and can’t be replaced without counting as a new subscription.
Tell us what you think
We’re always glad to receive your feedback. Let us know what you think, by completing our Cash ISA survey.
Want to transfer an existing Cash ISA?
Transfers from other ISAs aren’t available yet, but we know it’s important. Sign up to our alerts to find out when they’re available.
Frequently asked questions
This website is issued by Hargreaves Lansdown Asset Management Limited (company number 1896481), which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with firm reference 115248.
The Active Savings service is provided by Hargreaves Lansdown Savings Limited (company number 8355960). Hargreaves Lansdown Savings Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (firm reference number 915119). Hargreaves Lansdown Savings Limited is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 with firm reference 901007 for the issuing of electronic money.
Hargreaves Lansdown Asset Management Limited and Hargreaves Lansdown Savings Limited are subsidiaries of Hargreaves Lansdown plc (company number 2122142).
HL Cash ISA New Account Offer July 2021– what you need to know
1. This offer is available to anyone who opens a new HL Cash ISA (the “Cash ISA”) between 30 June 2021 and 11 August 2021 inclusive (“the Offer Period”) and satisfies the conditions set out within these terms.
2. To qualify for the offer, you’ll need to fund your new Cash ISA with at least £10,000 by debit card, and to subsequently use this money to instruct us to add at least £10,000 to one or more savings products within that Cash ISA. Both of these actions must be taken within 60 days of opening the Cash ISA to qualify (“the Qualifying Period”). For the avoidance of doubt you can open a Cash ISA with as little as £1 and still qualify for the offer, provided that your Cash ISA is topped up to a balance of at least £10,000 and you use this money to instruct us to add at least £10,000 to one or more savings products. Both of these actions must be taken within 60 days of opening the Cash ISA in order to qualify.
3. If you open a Cash ISA within the Offer Period and also satisfy the criteria listed in clause 2, we will send the Amazon.co.uk Gift Card (the “Gift Card”) to you via email, for a value between £10 and £20, depending on the amount you add to one or more savings products. We will send the Gift Card to you via email one month after your Qualifying Period. Please be aware that the Gift Card will be subject to separate terms and conditions with Amazon.co.uk, which can be found at www.amazon.co.uk/gc-legal. By deciding to use the Gift Card, you agree to be bound by Amazon.co.uk’s terms and conditions. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the actions or omissions of Amazon.co.uk. We reserve the right to substitute the Gift Card with a gift card of the same value with another party.
4. The value of the Gift Card will be based on the total amount added to savings products within 60 days of opening the Cash ISA. The value of the Gift Card will also only be based on the amount added to your Cash ISA by debit card during the Qualifying Period. The value of the Gift Card will not be based upon any amounts added to savings products using cash held in an Active Savings Account.
5. The Gift Card shall be determined in accordance with the tiers identified in the table accompanying these terms and conditions.
6. It is not possible to combine the value of saving products chosen in accounts with different client numbers for the purpose of this offer. The maximum value of Gift Cards you can receive under this offer is £20.
7. This offer can be used in conjunction with the Active Savings Cash Offer running until 11 August 2021. However, the amounts deposited into your Active Savings account or your Cash ISA cannot be combined to satisfy the criteria listed in clause 2 of this offer, or the criteria listed in the Active Savings Cash Offer terms and conditions.
8. We reserve the right to amend, extend or withdraw this offer if necessary, including for legal or regulatory reasons or otherwise. If the offer closes early, all qualifying applications received up until this time will still be accepted. Details of any such amendment, extension or withdrawal will be posted on our website at www.hl.co.uk/savings.
9. This offer is not available to anyone who already has a HL Cash ISA.
10. You will not qualify for the offer if you are an employee of any Hargreaves Lansdown Group company or a member of any such employee’s immediate family or household.
11. This offer is limited to one reward of up to £20 worth of Gift Cards per client. There is no cash alternative for the Gift Card.
12. This offer will be governed by English law and, in participating, you submit to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
13. References in these terms and conditions to “Hargreaves Lansdown”, “our”, “us” or “we” are to Hargreaves Lansdown Savings Limited (company number 08355960), authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register number 915119), whose registered office is at 1 College Square South, Anchor Road, Bristol, BS1 5HL. References to the “Hargreaves Lansdown Group” are to Hargreaves Lansdown plc (company number 02122142) and its subsidiaries from time to time.