We don’t support this browser anymore.
This means our website may not look and work as you would expect. Read more about browsers and how to update them here.

Skip to main content
  • Register
  • Help
  • Contact us

Supporting someone else

If you need help looking after your account, we’re here to help guide you through working out what’s best for you.

Here you will find information about what we can do to help and how to put more formal arrangements in place such as a Power of Attorney.

Help with your HL account

If you need some help with managing your account it can be tricky, as you don’t want to be sharing your login details with anyone. We have a really useful service called linked accounts.

Linked accounts is where an account holder can set up third party access by linking their account with someone else. The HL client linked to the account will have access to the same information, and many of the functions, that the account holder does when they log in.

Accounts should only be linked to trusted people like family members, whilst a financial professional is generally trustworthy, we wouldn’t advise linking an account with them. Remember, never give out your security details when linking accounts, and review who has access regularly.

Linked accounts can Linked accounts can’t
View your investments, statements and valuations Instruct a Bed and ISA.
View and send Secure Messages from your online account Request cash withdrawals
View Watchlists and portfolio analysis tools Amend contact details or the Nominated Bank Account
Change the income instruction preference for any income and dividends Add cash to the account
Move balances across your account Change Secure Number, Online Password or Username
Amend or set up a Regular Savings (Direct Debit) instruction

Helping someone with their account – a more formal route

If you want to put a more formal arrangement in place you might want to consider a Power of Attorney. Below we’ve listed some of the most common types of Power of Attorney to help you decide if this is the right route for you.

Power of Attorney (POA)

A Power of Attorney is a legal document that allows you to appoint someone you trust to make decisions and manage your affairs on your behalf. You can make a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) at gov.uk.

Make a Lasting Power of Attorney

Why might I want to appoint a POA?

Appointing an Attorney will give you more control over what happens to you if you have an accident or an illness and can’t make your own decisions.

Other things to consider

It’s important to consider the responsibility you’ll be placing on the other person. For example, if you’re considering appointing someone to look after your financial affairs ask yourself:

  • Do they have a good knowledge of savings and investments?
  • Are they confident in making decisions when it comes to saving and investing?

We have lots of useful information and tools to help with this, or you can consider speaking to one of our advisers. An adviser can provide an impartial opinion and recommend on investments that would be suitable for your circumstances. They can work alongside you, or your POA, and take on some of the responsibility.

Learn more about financial advice

Different types of Power of Attorney

Registering a Power of Attorney with HL

There are two ways to register a Power of Attorney with us, it depends what type you are registering and when you set it up.

Property & Financial Affairs Lasting Power of Attorneys set up from 1 September 2019

  1. Create an LPA account at gov.uk
  2. Once you’ve registered, you’ll be supplied with a secure code.
  3. Share this code with us either by calling 0117 900 9000 or emailing client.recordssupport1@hl.co.uk
  4. We'll update the account and contact you to let you know this has been set up

All other types of power of attorney

  1. Send the original or a certified copy of your Power of Attorney document to our postal address
  2. We'll let you know once this has been added to the account

Who can certify documents?

This can either be the donor themselves (provided that individual still has capacity), a solicitor or someone who is a notary.

Organisations that can offer support

The local authority of the person you care for may be able to help you care more effectively, you can find their details on the Gov.uk website. Here are some other organisations who can also help.

A guide to social care

Carers UK
Expert advice, information and support

Age UK
A UK charity that specialises in helping older people

Advice for paying for the cost of care and managing money