Open a Lifetime ISA
Lifetime ISA application
Filling in the application takes about 10 minutes.
As this will be the first time you’ve paid into your Lifetime ISA in the current tax year, you’ll have to confirm that you agree to the Lifetime ISA declarations. It shouldn’t take any longer than 5 minutes.
This won’t impact your existing account – any contributions to this year’s Lifetime ISA will appear as normal.
Before opening a Lifetime ISA, you should be:
- Comfortable choosing your own investments
- Confident making long-term investment decisions
- Free from significant debt (other than a mortgage)
- Clear on our charges and the tax benefits of a Lifetime ISA
- 18-39 years old on the date the first payment is made
- UK resident for tax purposes
What you need to know before opening a Lifetime ISA
- Investments can go up and down in value so you could get back less than you put in. Any income your investments pay can change over time.
- Tax rules for Lifetime ISAs can change, and their benefits depend on your circumstances.
- The bonus will be paid within 4 to 9 weeks of the contribution.
- You can withdraw money from your Lifetime ISA for an eligible house purchase, from age 60 or during terminal ill health. You must have held a Lifetime ISA for at least 12 months after the first payment before you can make an eligible house purchase.
- If you withdraw money for any other reason, you’ll have to pay a 25% government withdrawal charge. This will be charged on the full withdrawal amount, so you could receive less than you have paid in.
- If saving in a Lifetime ISA instead of enrolling in, or contributing to, a qualifying pension scheme, occupational pension scheme, or personal pension scheme: (i) You may lose the benefit of contributions by an employer (if any) to that scheme; and (ii) Your future entitlement to means tested state benefits (if any) may be affected.
What you need to have to hand
- Your National Insurance number. You can find this on your National Insurance card, a benefit letter, payslip or P60.
- Your debit card details, if you’d like to open your Lifetime ISA with cash. The minimum amount is £100.
- Your bank details, if you’d like to set up monthly payments into your Lifetime ISA. The minimum monthly amount is £25.
By opening this Lifetime ISA, you agree to our terms, so please make sure you’ve read and understood our: , Terms and Conditions with Tariff of Charges (PDF) and Key Features (PDF) and the risks. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Open a Lifetime ISA by phone
Call us on 0117 980 9950