Environmental, Social and Governance
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations play a key part in our strategy and the way Hargreaves Lansdown does business.
We are proud of the progress we have made but are very aware that there is more to do. Our Corporate Responsibility Approach breaks down our areas of influence into four categories.
- Responsible savings and investment provider – we enable clients to get the right outcomes, providing the insight they need to save and invest in line with their values.
- Responsible fund manager – we manage money in a responsible way to ensure sustainable long-term returns for clients and society.
- Responsible business – we support the local community, give back and build financial resilience across our stakeholders.
- Responsible employer – we make HL the best place to work for our colleagues, ensuring we build an inclusive and diverse culture for all.
To read more about our ESG considerations and the initiatives we have undertaken as part of our efforts to drive responsible practices across these three areas, please take a look at our Corporate Social Responsibility section.
Key documents for investors
We have a number of policies and key documents that support our ESG work:
- Corporate policy guidebook – our corporate policy guidebook, which is reviewed and monitored on an annual basis, sets out the codes of conduct, controls, processes and requirements of all employees, divisions and the Corporate Office within HL.
- Annual Report and Accounts – we provide an overview of our responsible business practices in our Annual Report and Accounts (Corporate Responsibility section). We also provide our annual Task Force for Climate Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) report as part of this section.
- Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) report – in this report you can find our Financial Year 2022 Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) disclosure.
- Gender Pay Gap Report 2023 - we provide details on our gender pay gap in our annual gender pay gap report, we also give further details on our inclusion and diversity in our diversity section.
- Responsible Investment Hub - we also provide an overview of articles and insight on responsible investment solutions for our clients through our Responsible Investment Hub.
- ESG Investment Policy - ESG Investment Policy sets out how ESG is integrated into our investment analysis and decision making. The Policy covers the core ESG factors we consider, the expectations and requirements we set for different fund groups and individual funds, as well as exclusions for activities we consider high risk.
- Stewardship and Engagement Policy - our Stewardship and Engagement Policy explains our approach to stewardship and engagement across the funds we manage as well as the third-party funds held in our investment solutions.