Now retired I spend a lot of my time in Greece enjoying the climate, culture and food. I decided to purchase an annuity because I wanted the security it offered. By confirming details about my height, weight and alcohol intake Hargreaves Lansdown were able to get me an enhanced annuity quote offering nearly £900 more income than that offered by some of the other providers.
Mr McIver, Devon
Hargreaves Lansdown were brilliant in setting up my annuity. They did all the legwork for me by shopping around and finding me the highest income available from my pension. Everything was finalised within three weeks of first enquiring. I particularly liked that whenever I rang I spoke to someone straight away who was able to help.
Mrs Reeves, Wiltshire
I read about HL in the paper and I used the online tool to get some annuity quotes. The figures were thousands of pounds better than my pension provider's even though they were from the same insurance companies! Whenever I phoned the HL helpdesk I found it to be helpful and they always called back when they said they would.
Mr Franklin, Middlesex
I just wanted to say thank you for the enhanced RPI protected annuity quote received today. Thanks to you making it so easy I am going to receive an annual sum £2,500 greater than the lowest standard quote, and this is entirely down to your team. I remain hugely impressed with the service you provide.
Mr Coe, Stockton-on-Tees
- UK's No.1 annuity service.
More people choose Hargreaves Lansdown as their annuity broker than any other firm - and have done so for the last 13 years running.†
- Supported by our Best Rate Promise.
If you find a better annuity rate anywhere else on the same basis, let us know and if we cannot match it we will give you £50.**
- Immediate access to enhanced annuity quotations, from the whole of the market.
Just answer a few simple questions to see if you qualify for an improved annuity rate due to health or lifestyle. This only takes a few minutes and could mean more income for your retirement. It is estimated that 70% of the UK population could be eligible at retirement. All our quotes are guaranteed for at least 14 days.
- Compare different annuity options at a glance.
Obtain quotes from many providers to compare different annuity options. Alternatively, you can use our new Retirement Planner to compare a blend of secure annuities and variable income via drawdown.
- Award-winning service and price promise:
We were awarded the Gold Standard for Retirement in 2014. Our friendly Bristol-based helpdesk can help you understand the options and answer your questions in plain English. We also offer an an advice service (provided by our Financial Advisers) if you are not sure.
- What you do with your pension is an important decision - in the case of an annuity it is irreversible. Therefore, we strongly recommend you understand your options and check they are suitable for your circumstances: take appropriate advice or guidance if you are unsure. Our service is not personal advice. We offer a range of information to help and independent financial advice
if requested. Alternatively, Pension Wise, the Government's new pension guidance service, provides a free impartial service to help you understand your options at retirement. It's available at www.pensionwise.gov.uk, by calling 030 0330 1001, or face to face.
Important points to consider
- You are responsible for your annuity purchase, so please ensure you are happy to make your own investment decisions, including whether an annuity is right for you. You should carefully consider your overall financial circumstances and other retirement goals or plans when making your decision. If you would like to explore a blend of secure and variable income, you can take a look at our new Retirement Planner. The service we offer is not personal advice. If you're unsure about making your own investment decisions please contact us for advice.
- If you are married or have a partner, you should strongly consider making provision for them in your annuity plans, so that they will receive an income if you die first.
- An annuity is paid for life, no quibbles. However, don’t forget you could have a long retirement, and inflation could seriously reduce what you could buy with a fixed income. You might want to consider an annuity that increases each year, even though this may mean you will receive less income in the early years.
- Before applying for your annuity, check the rate offered by your existing pension provider to make sure you are better off and won't lose any guarantees by moving to a different provider.
- We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). You may be entitled to compensation from the FSCS if Hargreaves Lansdown or your annuity provider cannot meet their obligations. This will depend on the circumstances of your claim. In addition, if you are unhappy with the service we have provided, you can register a complaint by contacting us. If you are not satisfied by our final response you can refer the complaint to FOS, who may be able to help you.
Speak directly to an annuity specialist
Our annuity specialists are here to answer your questions and help make the process as quick and seamless as possible. Please don't hesitate to contact them on 0117 980 9940 if you have any questions at all.
Have a question?
0117 980 9940
Mon - Thu: 8am - 7pm
Fri: 8am - 6pm
Sat: 9.30 - 12:30pm
† Source: Equifax Touchstone
*Biggest annuity gains for quotes in April 2015, based on the top and bottom rate for 636 clients entering health and lifestyle online. The average increase was 26.92%. Actual increase will depend on your pension value and personal circumstances. Find out what income you could receive »
**To use this Best Rate Promise you will need to provide us with a copy of the quotation you have received, based on your own circumstances, including any health or lifestyle information. It applies to all open market quotes, but not where your pension has a Guaranteed Annuity Rate. We will make one £50 payment per person, multiple applications will not be accepted. We reserve the right to withdraw this offer in future at any stage.