Transfer a pension
Give your old pensions a better chance to grow
Goodbye to the job for life...
People have 11 different jobs in their lifetime, on average, and each new job could mean a new pension. This can mean numerous providers to deal with, several phone numbers and logins to remember, and mountains of paperwork.
To keep on top you might need a complex filing system to record every date and value. If that doesn’t sound like you, a simpler solution is transferring your pensions to one place, like the HL Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP).
Enjoy more control
The HL SIPP gives you more control and the freedom to choose your own investments. What’s more, transferring is easier than you might think.
If you’d like to transfer your existing pension(s) to Hargreaves Lansdown, please first make sure that you won’t be penalised heavily by your current provider. We wouldn’t want you to lose money.
Once you’re ready to transfer just let us know and we’ll take care of the rest.
Why choose the HL SIPP?
- Security - We’re a secure FTSE 100 company trusted by over one million clients and the UK’s largest SIPP provider.
- Control - See how your pension is doing anytime online and with the HL app.
- Support - We’re available six days a week to help with any question, no matter how big or small. We also offer financial advice, investment analysis, and pension tools.
- Choice - Choose from our huge selection of funds, shares, and other investments.
Types of pensions you can transfer
You can transfer most types of pension to the HL SIPP:
- Personal and stakeholder pensions
- Retirement Annuity Contracts (RACs)
- Other SIPPs
- Most Additional Voluntary Contribution plans (AVCs) including Free Standing AVCs
- Executive Pension Plans (EPPs)
- Most paid-up occupational money purchase pensions
- Old protected-rights pensions accrued from contracting out of the State Second Pension or SERPS (State Earnings Related Pension)
- Pensions in drawdown
If you have a final salary pension or another pension type not listed above, please give us a call on 0117 980 9926 and we may be able to help you transfer.
Transferring a pension
Before you start your transfer, please read the SIPP key features (including the transfer checklist and common transfer declaration), terms and conditions (including tariff of charges) and important investment notes.
It's also really important to make sure you won't lose any valuable guarantees or benefits from your current pension provider or have to pay excessive exit fees. We wouldn't want you to lose money.
We’ll transfer your pension as cash (unless you request otherwise), which means it won’t be affected by any stock market rises or falls for a period. Once your transfer is complete, you can choose your investments. Remember they can fall as well as rise in value so you could get back less than you put in.
I want to transfer a pension
If you’re a client, the fastest way to transfer a pension is online.
Alternatively, send us a transfer form. You can find a full list of all our transfer forms here.
If you still have unanswered questions about transferring a pension, book your complimentary telephone consultation now.
With every pension transfer, we’ll always contact your provider and arrange the transfer for you.
Once we receive your transfer instruction...
We’ll do the rest. We’ll contact your current provider and organise everything with them. Most pensions can be transferred without the need for more paperwork and the majority take just nine working days. We’ll let you know exactly what’s happening and when your pension is in the HL SIPP.