Transfer a pension
Give your old pensions a better chance to grow
Goodbye to the job for life
People have 11 different jobs in their lifetime, on average, and each new job could mean a new pension. This can mean numerous providers to deal with, several phone numbers and logins to remember, and mountains of paperwork.
To keep on top you might need a complex filing system to record every date and value. If that doesn’t sound like you, a simpler solution is transferring your pensions to one place, like the HL Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP).
Enjoy more control
The HL SIPP gives you more control and the freedom to choose your own investments. What’s more, transferring is easier than you might think.
If you’d like to transfer your existing pension(s) to Hargreaves Lansdown, please first make sure that you won’t be penalised heavily by your current provider. We wouldn’t want you to lose money.
Once you’re ready to transfer just let us know and we’ll take care of the rest.
Why choose the HL SIPP?
- Security - We’re a secure FTSE 100 company trusted by over one million clients and the UK’s largest SIPP provider.
- Control - See how your pension is doing anytime online and with the HL app.
- Support - We’re available six days a week to help with any question, no matter how big or small. We also offer financial advice, investment analysis, and pension tools.
- Choice - Choose from our huge selection of funds, shares, and other investments.
Types of pensions you can transfer
You can transfer most types of pension to the HL SIPP:
- Personal and stakeholder pensions
- Retirement Annuity Contracts (RACs)
- Other SIPPs
- Most Additional Voluntary Contribution plans (AVCs) including Free Standing AVCs
- Executive Pension Plans (EPPs)
- Most paid-up occupational money purchase pensions
- Old protected-rights pensions accrued from contracting out of the State Second Pension or SERPS (State Earnings Related Pension)
- Pensions in drawdown
If you have a final salary pension or another pension type not listed above, please give us a call on 0117 980 9926 and we may be able to help you transfer.
Transferring a pension
We don’t charge anything to transfer to us. But it’s a good idea to check if your provider charges exit fees, or if you’ll lose any benefits or guarantees.
Here's how transferring works:
- You apply to transfer
- We contact your provider and start the transfer
- We keep you updated with progress
- We tell you when everything arrives
- When you’re ready, you start investing
Once we receive your transfer instruction...
We’ll do the rest. We’ll contact your current provider and organise everything with them. Most pensions can be transferred without the need for more paperwork and the majority take just nine working days. We’ll let you know exactly what’s happening and when your pension is here.