We don’t support this browser anymore.
This means our website may not look and work as you would expect. Read more about browsers and how to update them here.

share dealing

Buy and sell thousands of American and international shares

Important information - Investments can go up and down in value, so you could get back less than you put in. If you aren’t sure which investments are right for you, please seek advice. Tax rules can change and their benefits depend on your circumstances.

Search overseas shares

A world of opportunity

It’s as easy to buy BMW as Barclays with HL. You can choose from thousands of US, Canadian and European shares. And hold them in the same account as your UK investments.

Which overseas markets can i trade on?

HL’s experts cover a variety of US and European shares in their research so you can stay informed of what’s going on in the world of investing.

Read our share research and insight

How to deal overseas shares

You can deal overseas shares online, on the app or by phone. You don’t need to hold foreign currency, the share price is converted into pounds when you deal. Before you can buy US or Canadian shares, you'll need to complete a W-8BEN form. This entitles you to tax savings on any dividends and interest you earn. Dividends from shares based in other countries may be subject to withholding tax that can't be reclaimed.

If you have an HL account, log in and deal. If you’re new to HL, you can open an account online in minutes.

Fund and Share Account

  • Free to hold shares
  • No investment limits
  • Minimum £1 to open

Stocks and Shares ISA

  • 0.45% annual charge to hold shares (maximum £45)
  • Invest up to £20,000 this tax year
  • Minimum £100 to open

If you’re investing in retirement, you could also deal shares in your pension. Find out more about the HL SIPP.

Please ensure you have read the important information about holding overseas shares before you deal.

Due to a change in listing or other factors beyond our control, occasionally we may cease to cover an overseas stock. In this case, additional administration charges may apply for dealing these shares.

Exchange rates and dealing charges

When you deal the share price is converted into pounds at the prevailing interbank exchange rate, by a UK-based market maker. You’ll pay a foreign exchange (FX) charge and our standard dealing commission.

There is no FX charge for trades placed online within a Junior ISA.

Fluctuations in the exchange rate will affect the sterling value of your overseas holdings.

Foreign exchange charge

Value of trade FX charge
First £5,000 1.00%
Next £5,000 0.75%
Next £10,000 0.50%
Over £20,000 0.25%

Online and HL app dealing charge

Deals previous month Dealing charge
0-9 deals £11.95
10-19 deals £8.95
20 or more deals £5.95
Trades placed in a Junior ISA Free

In addition to dealing charges, there's an annual management charge to hold shares. This is 0.45% for a Stocks and Shares ISA (capped at £45 a year), 0.45% for a Self-Invested Personal Pension (capped at £200 per year), 0.25% for a Lifetime ISA (capped at £45 per year). There is no annual charge to hold shares in a Fund and Share Account or Junior ISA.

See our full list of Charges

Buying US and Canadian shares

Before you can buy US and Canadian shares you need to complete a W-8BEN form. This form saves you up to 30% tax on your US and Canadian income, and it’s valid for three years.

You can complete your W-8BEN online now if:

  • You’re not a US citizen or US tax payer
  • You’re the only account holder
  • You're 18 or older

Complete a W-8BEN online

You’ll need to complete a paper form if:

  • You’re a US citizen or tax payer
  • This is a joint account you hold with someone else
  • This is a company, charity or trust account
  • You’re acting as power of attorney

Please use the table below to download the correct form.

Type of account form
Individual (resident in the UK) W-8BEN form
Joint (resident in the UK) W-8BEN form
(resident overseas - eligible)
W-8BEN form
Please note only residents from eligible countries will benefit from a reduced rate of tax
(US citizen or resident(s))
W-9 form
US citizens or residents will not benefit from a reduced rate of tax
Investment clubs W-8BEN form - investment clubs
Designated accounts W-8BEN form - designated accounts
(For bare trusts a W-8IMY, Withholding Statement and a W-8BEN need to be completed)
Charities W-8BEN form - charities
Companies W-8BEN form - companies
Complex trusts W-8BEN form - complex trusts

A W-8BEN is valid for three calendar years after the year it is signed. We will contact you when it's time to renew.

Easy to speak to a person if I have a query.


Finder Awards Winner Share Dealing 2023
Winner Share Dealing
Finder Awards 2023
Best Online Stockbroker 2022-2023
Best Online Stockbroker
The Personal Finance Awards 2022/2023
Investing Pensions Gold Award 2022
Investing & Pensions Gold Award
The Times Money Mentor 2022

Help and support

If you have any questions about Overseas Share Dealing, you can speak to one of our client support experts.

Call us on 0117 900 9000

Contact us

Email us