Coronavirus - we're here to help
From how to access your account online, scam awareness, your wellbeing and our community we're here to help.

Skip to main content
  • Register
  • Help
  • Contact us
  • Log in to HL Account

How do I claim higher-rate tax relief?

Any higher or top-rate tax relief on your pension contributions can be claimed from HMRC.

Most people claim their higher / top-rate tax relief via their tax return. If you do not complete a tax return, or do not want to wait until you submit one, you can write to your local Tax Office. Our free Guide to Claiming Higher Rate Tax Relief provides more information and includes a letter template.

As this money is credited back to you personally and not your pension, Hargreaves Lansdown is unable to claim it on your behalf. Please note you cannot claim more in higher or top-rate relief than you pay in tax.

If you forgot to claim tax relief for a previous year, you can do so up to four years later. For example, the deadline for claiming tax relief for contributions made in 2015/16 is 5 April 2020.

Still need help?

Contact us

Email us