Stocks and Shares ISA
Investment account: Stock and Shares ISA
Open a Stocks and Shares ISA
Filling in the application takes about 10 minutes. Start from as little as £25 per month.
As this will be the first time you’ve paid into your Stocks and Shares ISA in the current tax year, you’ll have to confirm that you agree to the ISA declarations. It shouldn’t take any longer than 5 minutes.
This won’t impact your existing account – any contributions to this year’s ISA will appear as normal.
What you need to know
- To apply online you must be a UK resident, if you are not resident in the UK please contact us for more information.
- Investments can go up and down in value so you could get back less than you put in. Any income your investments pay can change over time.
- Tax rules for ISAs can change, and their benefits depend on your circumstances.
- An HL ISA is for people comfortable choosing their own investments. If you’re not sure which investments are right for you, please ask us about financial advice. There’s no personal advice on our website.
What you need to have to hand
- Your National Insurance number.
- Your debit card details, if you’d like to open your ISA with cash. The minimum amount is £100.
- Your bank details, if you’d like to set up monthly payments. The minimum monthly amount is £25.
By opening an HL ISA, you agree to our terms, so please make sure you’ve read and understood our: ISA Declaration, Terms and Conditions with Tariff of Charges (PDF) and Key Features (PDF) and the risks. Please contact us if you have any questions.
For your own benefit and protection you should read our Terms & Conditions carefully before committing to an investment. If you do not understand any point please ask us for further information. When you use our services we will take this as acceptance and agreement of our terms, and you will be bound by them.
I apply to subscribe for a Stocks & Shares ISA for the tax year 2020/21 (the first tax year to which this declaration relates) and each subsequent tax year in which I choose to make a subscription. I have read, agreed to and retained the Terms & Conditions, the Important Investment notes and Key Features of the Stocks & Shares ISA and my chosen investment including all costs and charges and, where available, the Simplified Prospectus or Key Investor Information Document/ Key Information Document provided to me on paper or via www.hl.co.uk.
I declare that:
- All subscriptions made, or to be made, belong to me and that I am 18 years of age or over.
- I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe more than the overall subscription limit in total to permitted ISAs in the same tax year. I have not subscribed, and will not subscribe, to another Stocks & Shares ISA in the same tax year that I subscribe to this Stocks & Shares ISA.
- I am resident in the United Kingdom for tax purposes or, if not so resident, either perform duties which, by virtue of Section 28 of Income Tax (Earnings & Pensions) Act 2003 (Crown employees serving overseas), are treated as being performed in the United Kingdom, or I am married to, or in a civil partnership with, a person who performs such duties. I will inform Hargreaves Lansdown If I cease to be so resident or to perform such duties or be married to, or in a civil partnership with, a person who performs such duties.
I authorise Hargreaves Lansdown:
- To hold my cash subscriptions, ISA investments, interest, dividends and any other rights or proceeds in respect of those investments and any other cash.
- To make on my behalf any claims to relief from tax in respect of ISA investments.
The declaration and the information I will give in my application is correct to the best of my knowledge and belief and shall be the basis of the contract between me and Hargreaves Lansdown. I will notify Hargreaves Lansdown without delay of changes to these particulars. I have not received, and will not receive, advice from Hargreaves Lansdown.
In addition to the declaration please read the following statement regarding Hargreaves Lansdown's communications with you.
Hargreaves Lansdown Plc and its group companies will send or email you complimentary issues of our investment publications and information about new products and services. If you would prefer not to receive these, please do let us know. Your personal data will remain confidential, and will not be passed to any other organisation unless required to do so by law.