SIPP Investment Ideas
Investing in a SIPP
One of the best things about a Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP) is having control over how and where you choose to invest. It offers a wider investment choice than other personal or stakeholder pension plans, giving you the potential for greater returns.
How to pick your own SIPP investments
Understanding the importance of asset diversification and researching investments with objectives similar to your own goals, are two sensible first steps. Then regularly reviewing your investments and their performance is essential.
As your goals and priorities change over time, you may wish to change your investment choices and strategy too – particularly as you approach retirement.
Latest fund ideas for a SIPP
These investment ideas aren’t personal advice. Investing in these funds isn’t right for everyone. Investors should only invest if the fund’s objectives are aligned with their own, and there’s a specific need for the type of investment being made. Investors should understand the specific risks of a fund before they invest, and make sure any new investment forms part of a diversified portfolio.
Investments rise and fall in value, so you could get back less than you invest. If you’re not sure an investment is right for you, seek advice.
Total return fund
Given market volatility could be set to continue with a number of challenges facing economies, a total return fund could be a good choice. Total return funds are more conservative than funds that invest fully in company shares. They normally invest in a mix of investments including shares, bonds, commodities and currencies. They could help provide modest growth for your investment portfolio over the long term, and help shelter your money when stock markets fall, but are unlikely to keep up with stock markets when they rise quickly.
- The fund invests in a mix of investments including shares, bonds, commodities and currencies and includes some of the world's best-known companies with highly recognisable brands.
- The fund has the flexibility to invest in higher-risk smaller companies and while the fund contains a diverse range of investments, it is concentrated, which is a higher-risk approach.
- It could help form part of the foundation of an income portfolio, and could diversify other UK funds, or diversify the income paid by bond funds or a global equity income fund.
Responsible investing fund
Responsible investment funds give you the chance to invest in line with your principles. Some avoid investing in areas that do harm, like tobacco producers, weapons manufacturers or alcoholic drinks makers. Others invest in companies that have a positive effect on society – from those that treat their employees well, to those that create clean energy through wind farms or solar panels.
Legal & General Future World ESG Developed Index
- Aims to provide long-term growth whilst being environmental, social and governance focused.
- Invests in broad developed stock markets, such as the US, Japan and Europe.
- Invested in around 1,500 global companies, focused towards sectors such as technology, pharmaceuticals and financials.
Asian growth fund
Asian funds are a great way to add diversification to a portfolio that is focused on long term investing, which makes them ideal for a SIPP. Although they often include investments in emerging markets, which make them higher risk. Asia is home to some of the most exciting economies in the world that have significant potential for future growth.
Schroder Asian Alpha Plus
- The fund aims to provide growth by investing in larger companies across Asia, based in countries such as Hong Kong, India, and Taiwan.
- We think the fund can offer a globally diversified portfolio exposure to Asian markets in the pursuit of long-term growth.
- The fund can invest in smaller companies, emerging markets or derivatives, all of which add risk if used.
The HL Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP)
Take control of your retirement savings with the HL SIPP.
Invest how and where you want to - Pick from a wide choice of investments, or pay a financial adviser to choose investments for you
Peace of mind - We're a financially secure FTSE 100 company, trusted by over 1.7 million clients. We have over 40 years experience in empowering people to save and invest with confidence. And have won over 200 awards, including Best Pension Provider 2022 by ADVFN Financial Awards
Great value for money - The latest news, research and insight from our team of experts
Flexibility at retirement - With the HL SIPP, you're free to choose from all the main retirement options
- Support on hand when you need it - Get ongoing support from the experts on our UK-based helpdesk 6 days a week. They can answer your questions no matter how big or small
Help choosing investments
No matter how you choose to invest, you’ll still need to review your investments and make sure they continue to match your objectives and financial goals.
Our Wealth Shortlist features funds chosen by our analysts for their long-term potential. You can filter the list to find the right ones for you.
Help building a portfolio
Need a hand starting your own investment portfolio? We explain how to build one.
Choose one of our ready-made portfolios. You’ll still need to regularly review the investments but fund managers will take care of the day-to-day investment decisions.
SIPP investment advice
If you’d like a professional to make your investment decisions for you, you can choose a financial adviser to help.
They're always happy to assist, professional at all times and extremely knowledgeable.
Boring Money Awards 2023
Boring Money Awards 2022
The Times Money Mentor 2022