Open a Self-Invested Personal Pension
What you need to remember
- The HL SIPP is designed for people comfortable choosing their own investments. The value of all investments can rise and fall, so although there’s the potential for growth, you could also get back less than you invest. If you’re not sure which investments are right for you, please ask us about financial advice. There’s no personal advice on our website.
- You must be 18 or older to open an HL SIPP and usually need to be at least 55 before you can access the money (rising to 57 from 2028). Pension and tax rules can change, and benefits will depend on your circumstances.
- To apply online you must be UK resident, if you’re not resident in the UK please contact us for more information on eligibility and alternative ways to apply.
What you need to read first
By opening an HL SIPP, you agree to our terms, so please make sure you’ve carefully read and understood the following:
- HL SIPP declaration
- Terms & Conditions (including tariff of charges), Important Investment Notes
- SIPP Key Features (including the contribution checklist and if you’re transferring the transfer checklist and common transfer declaration)
Please contact us if you have any queries on any of the above documents.
Open a SIPP with a bank payment
It only takes 15 minutes to open a SIPP online
You can set up personal contributions from as little as £25 a month, or get started by using your debit card to make a one-off contribution of £100 or more. All you need to hand is your National Insurance number and either your bank details or debit card.
Once your account is up and running, you can change your personal contributions whenever you like.
To make an employer contribution, please visit the employer contribution page.
Open a SIPP by transferring a pension
The fastest way to transfer is online. To get started, all you need to confirm is the following details about the pension you want to transfer:
- Pension name and type (e.g. Aviva personal pension)
- Policy number
- Pension value (this doesn’t have to be exact)
You should be able to find these details on your annual statement or can ask your current provider when you’re checking what exit fees apply or if you’ll lose any valuable benefits. Make sure that all your personal details (including current address and name) are up to date with your existing provider before you start. If personal details don't match it will often lead to delays.
If you’re not already an HL client, that’s not a problem. It only takes 5 minutes to create an account online as part of the process.
Open a SIPP with an employer contribution
If you're a business owner, to open an HL SIPP with a contribution from your limited company by bank transfer, you need to complete this application form. Alternatively, to open an HL SIPP with a direct debit or lump sum payment, you'll need to complete this application form.
If you'd like to open an HL SIPP and have your employer make contributions to your account, please complete an employer contribution form.
Alternative ways to apply
To open a SIPP with an employer contribution, you’ll need to call our Pensions Helpdesk on 0117 980 9961. That way we can register your employer with us.